Wednesday, January 20, 2010

the maintenance of memories...

One of my favorite things is when Avery Grace falls asleep laying on my lap...the sweaty ringlets that matte her hair and leave little dabs of moisture on my arm. I try to remind myself to make the mental note "don't forget the way this feels, don't forget the way her tiny breathe smells sweet and cool as you carry her to her crib" I know that time is short with a growing babe, everyday is a milestone, every moment is one to remember, how can we keep it all together?
My sister is an amazing memory recorder, her families historian if you will. Scrapbooks and yearly albums for all THREE of her babies! My girls baby book is full...of every first and receipt and card and sealed letter I have written, not in a set place, just stuffed in the pages for a rainy day of "getting organized"...if I have my sister reading right now she just choked out a laugh, as I have placed organized and I in the same sentence. However I just returned from a visit with my family, I went through photos that my grandmothers had in treasure boxes and flowery albums, flagging those for copies that were important or that caught my eye. After looking at so many and my mother straining to remember who and what and how...I realized the importance of creating a system to help my future generations remember. SO I am preparing to be a better recorder, both with this blog as with my memories and my families memories. My girl will grow to know her past through stories and pictures and my voice, and hopefully in an organized fashion that will not leave her guessing "who the hell is this!" Wish me luck...

~S

2 comments:

Erin said...

I love you! Avery Grace will have her own memories of a wonderful mommy,daddy,bubby and extended family that love her very much. She will not need pictures of family members long gone to know this. Especially ones who appear as if they were involved in a murder mystery. I will save some of my "originals" for her too! Give her kisses!

Leah said...

so sweet, sha!